Whole Wheat Banana Oat Muffins
We are having a beautiful fall; however, it is almost winter in Wisconsin. The days are darker, colder and comfort food is on our minds.
This week we decided to make some healthy-ish breakfast muffins (always comforting) since we have a lot of activities. If the kids want to sleep in a little, these muffins allow them to eat in the car on the way to school + activities. And since I made them, I feel OK with that!
Prep time is about 10 minutes, then they bake for 18. If you want to get it all done in 1 batch, have two cupcake pans sprayed or lined and your oven at 350.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour – we like King Arthur
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats, not quick oats – Quaker Oats are safe, but review the label
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 or 3 large bananas, peeled and mashed, lumpy is OK
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 1/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup of milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350* and line your cupcake pans, or spray them with non-stick.
- Combine all the dry ingredients, and allthe wet ingreients in separate bowls.
- Mix the wet into the dry ingredients and stir well.
- Divide your mixture into your cupcake pan, about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake for 18 minutes.
Enjoy! If you want to make them a little sweeter, you could mix 1/2 regular flour and 1/2 wheat flour and top them with a 1/2 cup of 1/4 cup cinnamon + 1/4 sugar mixture before they go into the oven.