Weeknight Homemade Chicken Soup
You don’t have to be sick to enjoy a good bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup. I’ve been craving this soup for a while. I made a version of it last week for a friend and I just couldn’t help myself today. I had to make it.
- One Rotisserie Chicken, you can find this at your grocers deli counter. Cube your chicken pieces and set aside.
- 8 cups / two boxes of salted chicken stock (Rachael Ray is safe)
- 1 carrot, peeled + thinly sliced
- 3 ribs of celery, halved + thinly sliced
- 1/2 white onion, diced small (can also use 1 palm/tbsp powdered onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced ( can also use 1 palm full/tbsp garlic powder)
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary – dry works too (Penzey’s Spices are safe)
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 2-3 handfuls of flat egg noodles
- In a Dutch Oven, drizzle the two tbsp of evoo over medium high heat.
- Add carrots, celery and soften, about 8-10 minutes
- Add the garlic and onion and all the herbs, heat until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes
- Add all the chicken stock
- Bring to a boil
- Stir stir stir
- Add cubed chicken + your choice of pasta
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes + make sure your pasta is cooked through
- Enjoy! Yield: 8
If you don’t want the pasta to get mushy, I would cook the pasta separately. This way, if you know you’ll have leftovers, you can save it for later in the week and have pre-made, non-mushy pasta each time! Nothing worse than soggy noodles.