Slow Cooker Chili
Chili is one of the best winter comfort foods – and it’s super easy to make and very flavorful. We also love how verstaile chili is, and if you have some nice tupperware, it’s very freezer friedly. So go ahead and make a double batch. For those busy winter nights after school, you’ll thank yourself for an easy meal.
My kids are spice sensitive. Many kiddos don’t like spicy foods, so this recipe is amazingly family friendly. It’s a very flavorful recipe without a ton of heat. If you want extra heat, you can always add more seasoning to your individual portion. Or cool it down with some sour cream.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onoin – diced
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste (I used ketchup since we didn’t have paste)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper* -optional, we did not use, but feel free to add this and green chiles to spice up your individual serving if you like it HOT!
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 (15 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz.) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- Put all ingredients into a crock pot and turn on low for 6 to 8 hours.
- Enjoy! Yield is about 8
- Mix it up with toppings
- Sour Cream
- Pour it over potato wedges / baked potato
- Frito Lay chips
- Raw onion
- Cheddar cheese
- Pour it over a hot dog!
- Add 50% chili with 50% melted cheese to make a chili cheese dip for your next football party!