Organic Black Bean Spaghetti with Heirloom Tomatoes
I’ve had some serious writers block lately, but I felt the need to share this meal with you since it was super flavorful and easy. It’s perfect for weeknight cooking and a healthy alternative to some of the carb filled pasta we normally eat.
Black bean pasta is relatively new and trendy. This brand cooks up like a typical pasta would in boiling water for about 6 minutes. Be careful how you boil/simmer. It’s actually more of a simmer now that I think about it. The pasta boils and gets very frothy, easy to spill out of your pan (which happened to me twice while I was making this).
- 1 box of Explore Cuisine black bean spaghetti
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 1 package crimini mushrooms, rinsed and quartered
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 small container cherry / small tomatoes, rinsed and quartered
- 3-4 basil leaves, torn
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup cotija cheese, crumbled (I really like this brand – it’s found almost everywhere, too)
- salt and pepper
- In a small non-stick skillet, melt the tbsp of butter over medium hi heat. Add the mushrooms and garlic powder and let them cook for about 5-6 minutes until they are soft and smell good.
- In a large pot, boil your pasta water. Add pasta and cook for about 6 minutes.
- Drain and add the pasta back to your hot pot and add the olive oil to prevent sticking + add flavor.
- Add salt and pepper to pasta.
- Stir the mushrooms in the pan and turn the heat off if they are done.
- Serve the pasta in individual bowls and top with
- cotija cheese
- Yield is 6
This dish is VERY filling. I served a “normal” pasta size serving to each of us, and none of us finished. Black bean pasta is more filling than just regular pasta, so start small. The mushrooms were great – they added a “meatiness” that the dish needed. And the cotija cheese MADE this dish flavorful.
If you don’t have time for anything else, pop open a can of salsa and dump is over the pasta, sprinkle the cotija cheese and BOOM you have dinner.
Kids approved. Loved it. When eating it tho, it’s a bit of a mind game. You’re literally eating flavors that taste like Mexican burrito bowl, but you see pasta and think YUM SPAGHETTI AND CARBS = COMFORT + FAT PANTS.
This was perfect for a case of the Mondays!
Enjoy your week!