I can’t believe school starts next week?! It has been an AMAZING summer, but I’m still holding on tight to these looooong summer days.
Today, we picked a bunch of great tomatoes from the garden, and we made veggie burrito bowls. They were amazing, fresh and very flavorful.
Veggie Burrito Bowls
- 1 cup of your favorite rice
- 2 tbsp evoo
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves minced (or powder is fine)
- 3/4 tsp salt divided
- 1 can black beans
- 1 tbsp chopped chipotles (I left these out – too spicy for kids)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes chopped – or more
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 1 and 1/2 fresh lime juice dividied
- 1 jalepeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 and 1/3 cups very thinly sliced red cabbage
- 3 ounces queso fresco cheese or cotija
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and sliced
- Cook rice accordingly. And add evoo, cumin, and garlic.
- Drain the black beans. put into small sauce pan. Stir in chipotle if you like plus 1/4 tsp salt. simmer for 10 minutes. (if you don’t like chipotle, add a shake of garlic, onion, oregano for flavor).
- In a separate small bowl, combine chopped tomatoes, 1/4 tsp salt, onion, cilantro and 1 tbsp lime juice (just squeeze 1/2 a lime in) and jalapeno. toss to combine.
- In a separate medium size bowl, combine 1 +1/2 tsp evoo,1 +1/2 tsp lime juice and cabbage, toss well. I flavored until it tasted well, using more lime juice.
- Divide rice, beans, cabbage, avocado and cheese evenly among bowls.
- Yield: 4-5
Orange, Red Onion and Cilantro Salad (YOU WILL LOVE THIS SALAD)
- 1 tbsp evoo
- 1 tbsp grated lime
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 ground pepper
- 1/4 cup very thin sliced red onion
- 4 medium navel oranges peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Combine first 5 ingredients in bowl. Add onion and oranges. Toss to coat.top with cilantro.
- Yield: 4