Chickpea Curry with Rice
Tonight’s meal is a no-brainer. Curried chickpeas and rice is fast, easy and packed full of flavor (and it’s NUT-FREE!). A friend of mine on facebook mentioned this recipe once and I have never forgotten about it!
Plus, it’s meatless Monday, so this recipe fits perfectly into the plan. I found this particular recipe from my new favorite Foodnetwork Foodie, Ree Drummond, she’s also known as Pioneer Woman. Kinda like her stuff right now.
Today was our busy day (aren’t they all?!). We had:
- morning school drop off at both schools
- grocery shopping + unpacking + organizing
- birthday + Easter meal prep + packaging
- cleaning out the fridge
- dish washer
- cleaning out the van and backpacks
- lunch for ME (a microwaved burrito that I inhaled in 10 minutes….these burritos are amaze!)
- picking up little man from school
- driving home again
- putting him down for nap
- binge eating dove mint chocolates (in my pantry because you’re supposed to hide when you eat naughty) to make my work-out “worth it” (I’m crazy, I know, right?!)
- 30 minutes of cardio
- packing little man up to get sister
- picking up sister at her school
- visiting her school’s scholastic book fair
- packing up new books and school stuff
- heading home for a potty break and snacks
- packing up again
- drive to little lady’s PT appointment
- packing the kids up again to go home + making more appointments
- hitting rush hour traffic
- driving home to make THIS DINNER!
I feel like a zombie right now. Luckily, I had the recipe saved to my desktop and all the ingredients and pans were already on the kitchen counter. Just mix all this stuff together and make some rice! So easy. Here it is. Sorry for the ramble…it is SUCH A MONDAY today!
For some color – I microwaved a bag of edamame and sprinkled with sea salt and pepper. Kids love edamame.
- 2 cups basmati rice/jasmine rice
- 2 tbsp evoo
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 (15oz) cans of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (13.5oz) can of coconut milk
- 1-2 tbsp honey
- 1-2 tbsp sriracha (the “rooster” as my dad calls it!)
- nann bread
- cilantro for garnish
Cook the basmati rice according to the package instructions.
Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onions, season with salt and pepper and cook until the onions are dark brown and caramelized, about 10 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Pour in the vegetable stock and stir to scrape up all the brown bits in the pan. Add the chickpeas, coconut milk, honey and a squirt of sriracha. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Warm the naan in the microwave. Serve the curry over the rice with the warmed naan. Garnish with the cilantro.
Recipe courtesy of Ree Drummond
Yield 4-6. This looked like it made about 5.