Black Bean Burritos + Herbed Rice
Today was amazing. It was almost 70* here in Madison and the kids played outside for 3 hours. By the time we all came inside, we were exhausted. Fresh air will do that. Instead of making what I had originally planned, Chloe asked for black bean burritos. It was a great idea + time saver for my sleepy kids who definitely needed baths! Here’s what I did:
Black bean burritos, herbed rice, broccoli + fruit
- 2 cans low-sodium black beans, drained + rinsed
- 3 shakes of Penzeys garlic powder
- 3 shakes of Penzeys onion powder
- 3 shakes of Penzeys oregano
- 1/4 cup water or chicken stock
- 4 large tortillas (wheat or flour)
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- pinch of sea salt
- shake of Penzeys Italian Herb Mix
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- Penzeys 4S season salt
- 3 tbsp. water
- handful of shredded cheddar cheese
- Measure out 1 cup of basmati rice. Make it according to package with water, pinch of salt and 1 tbsp. olive oil. Bring to a boil, let rice reduce to just below the water level and cover. Turn to low + let sit for 15 minutes. Fluff.
- While the rice is on low, put black beans into sauce pan and heat to med-low. Add the garlic, onion, oregano and chicken stock/water (if you have time, use fresh garlic + onion). Stir. Add the cheddar cheese. I also like Cotija, but do not frequently keep it in the house. Any cheese will do actually. Stir well, cheese will melt and beans will become mushy. Remove from heat when all ingredients are incorporated.
- Put broccoli florets into microwave safe pyrex bowl. Put two tbsp. unsalted butter and 3 tbsp. water into bottom of pan. Sprinkle with Penzeys 4S season salt. Microwave for 3 minutes.
- Microwave the tortillas for 20 seconds.
- Assemble the tortillas. Add the black bean mix, favorite salsa and roll up. Serve with the steamed broccoli, rice (sprinkle with Italian Herb Mix or fresh herbs) and whatever fresh fruit you have.
- Enjoy! Not a masterpiece, but quick, healthy, flavorful and the kids LOVED it.