Crunchy Chocolate Granola Bars
Because so many granola bars are made in a facility with nuts, we make our own. They’re easy and so delish.
Chocolate Chip Soy Nut Granola Bars
- 1/2 Cup Soy Nut Butter (I prefer I’m Healthy brand)
- 1/3 Cup local honey
- 1/4 Cup coconut oil
- 1+1/2 Cups old fashioned oats (Hy-Vee Brand is my go-to)
- 1 + 1/2 TBSP wheat germ
- 1/2 Cup ground flax seed
- 1/4 Cup Chocolate Chips (this is where you need to watch labels. I use Guittard or Enjoy Life brands.)
- Line an 8X8 glass or metal pan with foil. Non-stick spray is not needed.
- Melt soynut butter, honey and coconut oil together in a sauce pan over low or medium heat. Stir constantly.
- In medium mixing bowl, combine other ingredients, except chocolate chips.
- Pour liquid mixture over the dry mix. stir well.
- Let cool for a few minutes + press down into your prepped pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips over the mixture and press them down firmly into the bars.
- Place the pan in the fridge or freezer to set.
- Flip the foil on to a cutting board. With a very sharp knife (I prefer my shun 6 inch santoku) cut into rectangles.
- I usually use one snack size bag per bar and store them in the fridge. They will not keep if you do not keep them refrigerated. Storing them for a day in a school lunch is fine.
Fun extras: mini marshmallows, raisins, sunflower seeds, chocolate skippers, banana chips, home-made dried fruits, sun butter
*The original recipe is from TheMarathonMom.com and modified by me