It wasn’t our plan to make Christmas cupcakes this year, but when we found these adorable nut-free Wilton gingerbread people, we couldn’t resist. The recipe we found online had over 240 positive reviews for “decadent chocolate cupcakes” and we decided to give it a try….after two cups of coffee!
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Line that cupcake holder with 12 festive liners or a whole lot of Pam spray if you’re not lining (totally fine, too!).
- Make sure your EGGS and BUTTERMILK are at room temp.
- If you don’t have buttermilk, which I never do, just google a substitute
Decadent Chocolate Christmas Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa – like Vermont Nut Free
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Fill the lined cupcake tin half way full with the batter.
- Batter will be runny. Use a spoon to carefully scoop in, I only ended up making 12 cupcakes and the yield was 14.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. CHECK them! Use a toothpick. Bake up to 20 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack completely before frosting.
- Top with festive decor and chocolate butter cream frosting.
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl, mix well until smooth:
- 1 cup butter
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder – like vermont nutfree, Hersheys coca powder is also safe, just check the labels
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
^^^ Here they are cooling – our home smells like a chocolate wonderland! And it’s SNOWING! It’s a white Christmas. I hope you enjoy your holiday.
Sending love and hugs to you and yours! Thanks for stopping by.