Today was sugar cookie day. It’s the cookie I hate the most. Making the dough is easy, but rolling it out and using it quickly, before it gets too mushy, can be challenging. Especially when you have two littles eagerly trying to help.
This morning we rolled out the dough and used our cookie cutters for various holiday cookie shapes.
This afternoon, I made 3 types of frosting and gathered some toppings to decorate the cookies with the kids.
Here’s the recipe – I’m a little under the weather, so tonight’s post is quick.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 cups flour
- cream the butter and sugar using electric mixer
- Add egg and vanilla
- Blend dry ingredients gradually add to mixing bowl
- Add milk + mix well
- Make a giant ball, put into glass bowl + cover with plastic wrap
- Chill for 3 hours or up to 7 days
- Roll our 1/8 inch thick
- Cut out and bake
- I bake at 300* for 6 minutes. But that is just how my oven is. Test yours.
Nut free toppings
- vermont nut free skippers
- some sprinkles
- colored sugars
- smashed andes candes
- smashed candy canes