If you’re looking for a bake-ahead + freeze cookie, this is it. These cookies can last up to 6 months in your freezer. However, they taste so good, I think you’ll have a hard time putting these away. The lemon zest is bright and gives you the illusion these are “healthy” cookies. Not so much. But the creamy lemon poppy seed is a comforting flavor that has me coming back for more every time. Enjoy!
Lemon-Poppy Seed Melts
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp grated / shredded lemon peel
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1+1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 375
- In an electric mixing bowl, cream butter.
- Add granulated sugar and poppy seeds + baking soda
- Mix well
- Add egg yolk, milk, lemon peel, and vanilla until combined.
- Add flour
- Mix well
- Divide dough in half.
- Shape each half into a 9″ long roll (use a 13×9 pyrex pan to get your measurement)
- Wrap each long roll in plastic wrap
- Chill for 4 hour or overnight
- Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 1/2 inch thick slices
- Place onto ungreased cookie sheets
- Bake at 375 for 7-9 minutes.
- Place warm cookies into a bag of powdered sugar to coat.
- Continue cooling on cooling rack.
- Yield: 36 cookies