Rice is one of my favorite things to make. Now that I know how to make it. I used to suck at making rice. Then I tried a different brand and method, and it clicked for me. We don’t use instant rice – because I can’t make that kind. I always mess it up! We use jasmine rice. Typically, I buy it in bulk since we go through so much. The brand is Rice Select and we use both the Orzo and Jasmati Rice. They come in nice plastic, resealable containers. The kids use the containers for projects when they are finally empty. Good stuff. So here’s what we made tonight to go with our grilled chicken and grilled asparagus.
Perfect Rice Pilaf
- 1 cup jasmati rice
- 1/4 cup of orzo
- 2-3 swirls of evoo
- 1 non-stick sauce pan with cover
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 3 and 3/4 cups chicken stock, reduced sodium
- with your sauce pan over med/hi heat, swirl and coat the bottom of your non-stick pot.
- Add the jasmati and orzo
- stir on high heat until fragrant + slightly browning
- turn the heat to medium and add the liquid
- add the onion, garlic, thyme and salt and pepper
- bring to a boil
- reduce until the water is just under the rice
- this should look like the rice is bubbling, about 4-5 minutes of boil and stir
- reduce to low and cover with lid tight
- set timer for 15 minutes and DO NOT TOUCH
- fluff and serve
- yield 6
*if your rice looks crunchy or stuck to the bottom, add more liquid, 1/4 cup at a time, and let sit for a few more minutes with the lid on, and the burner on low. Max 5 min. Check on it, stir and taste.
*if your rice looks watery, it did not reduce enough in the beginning. This is OK. Just cover tight and cook on low for 5 more minutes. continue to check on the rice until all liquid is absorbed.
Happy Sunday Night!