When I call a dinner “Dip” – it makes it seem like a fun snack, not a healthy, vegetable packed meal that will give my kids the energy they need. Tonight we made Chicken Chili, another amazing meal that Chloe and I put together at last night’s Hy-Vee DISH session. Since she helped me make it she was proud of her work, making it easier for her to clear her plate. She owned this meal. It was hers. And she was proud to tell everyone about her homemade spice packet that made the chicken taste so good. I was happy to see her so excited and capable of making a meal. Preparing healthy food is an important life lesson.
Chicken Chili – Crock Pot
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (15.5 oz) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15.5 oz) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce
- 10 oz package frozen corn kernels
- 2 (10 oz) cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
- 4 oz can chopped green chili peppers, chopped
- 1 packet reduced sodium taco seasoning or homemade (see below)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 24 oz (3) boneless skinless chicken breasts (I used 2, and it was perfect)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
To make your own taco seasoning, omit the packet, cumin and chili powder above and use below instead:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in crock pot. Mix well
- Nestle chicken into the mixture.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Fork apart the chicken and mix well.
- This recipe is freezer friendly
- make your season mix and store in a snack size storage bag.
- chop your onion, add to snack size storage bag.
- in a plastic bag, add chicken, onion bag + season packet bag, store in freezer.
- Set canned items aside in the pantry, labeled for this recipe, easy to grab.
You can serve this over basmati rice, minute rice, jasmine rice or whatever starch you love. We just used Pasquals Chips because they are safe, and who doesn’t love tortilla chips! The leftovers we will be using tomorrow in our burritos to watch the election results on CNN with friends.
Enjoy your week!