Have you ever had one of those weeks where you feel like you take 2 steps forward and 10 steps back? By Friday night you feel like your hair is on fire and no amount of delicious wine will right all the wrongs that happened in the past 5 days?!
It’s during stressful times that you really have to find little things to be grateful for to keep pushing ahead. The show MUST go on. We’re parents. Our kids rely on us, we’re setting an example all day, every day – we can’t melt down under pressure (even thought I didn’t fall to the ground crying like my kids, I was pretty short and snippy).
This week I found comfort knowing that every…single…meal was already prepared. THANK YOU HY-VEE DISH sessions. And so grateful to know the wonderful lady that introduced me to these marvelous sessions.
DISH meets one time per month at Hy-Vee. A small group meets for one hour and makes 7 meals. The session costs vary, but so far I’ve spent between $100 and $120 for 7 meals for 4 people. Most meals make 6 servings for us, so we upcycle leftovers for lunch the next day. Super good recipes too. I have to be honest. I was VERY skeptical on flavor. I live in a house with people who LOVE food.
Here is one of my favorites that we made for dinner, then had for lunch for the next 5 days. SO GOOD! I hope you enjoy too, you won’t regret it!
Vegetarian Minestrone Soup
- 1 cup carrots, sliced or diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups zucchini
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 tsp garlic
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 (28-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans
- 6 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock) – Hy-Vee Brand is safe
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning – Penzeys or Hy-Vee brand is safe
- 2 cups small pasta (such as: ditalini, penne, small shells) – most pastas are safe
- 2 cups baby spinach
- salt and pepper
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, sauté the carrots, celery, onion, zucchini, garlic and in the hot oil, until crisp-tender.
- Reduce heat to medium-low heat. Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes and beans.
- Slowly add the stock, pasta and spinach.
- Simmer for about 8-10 minutes, season with salt and pepper to taste.