Canning has been a big part of our family for many generations. It used to be done for necessity, and now it’s more of a hobby and path to healthy, more natural eating. We can mostly at the end of summer; salsa, pickles, tomatoes, tomato juice, spicy vegetables, and whatever else needs canning from our garden.
For fun, we made this recipe, and it turned out amazing. The kids eat it like candy, and I’ve used it all week on top of my salads.
Pickled Red Onion + Ginger
- 1 wide mouth pint size Mason jar + lid
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1+1/2 tsp salt
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced (can use a mandolin)
- Shaves of freshly peeled ginger (use a potato peeler)
- In a small sauce pan, heat the water and oil.
- Once it starts to bubble, add salt and sugar.
- Congrats, this is a simple brine.
- Meanwhile, pack your onion and ginger into the Mason jar.
- Pour the brine into the jar over the onion.
- Seal the jar tight.
- Refrigerate 2 hours, enjoy!
- Keep refrigerated up to a week!
Goes well with
- Chicken burriotos
- Black bean burriotos
- Any salad
- On top of pork chops or tenderloin
- As a side
- With a Mediterranean Snack Plate (previous blog entry)
- Hummus and pita
- Triscuit and Swiss cheese
Enjoy your Sunday!