Chicken Tortilla Soup
Corn season has started a little early this year. It’s been a great growing season for many vegetables since it has been warm, humid, and fairly wet this summer.
My husband drives past a corn stand on his way home from Fort Atkinson each week and decided to pick up a dozen ears of fresh corn on the cob. What a treat. The kids LOVE corn!! Here is one way to use up some of the extra corn we have on hand.
Trisha’s Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 3 tbsp butter (unsalted)
- 1-2 Clove’s garlic
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 (14oz ) cans of chicken stock
- 4 cups of 1/2 + 1/2
- 10.75oz cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup of salsa
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 (15oz) black beans
- 1 (15oz) kidney beans
- 1 (15oz) corn –i’m using two ears of corn on the cob. Place a bowl upside down on a plate. Place the ear of corn standing up right on top of the bowl and use a sharp knife to cut away the corn. Corn should just fall onto the plate.
- 2 tbsp cumin
- 1 (1.27oz) Fajita season mix
- 1 bag of chips
- 8oz shredded jack cheese
- 1 (1/2) cup of sour cream for topping
- In a large Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and onion. Sautee 5 minutes. Add flour. Add the stock. Add half and half, cream of chicken soup, salsa, beans, corn, cumin, Fajita mix. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Add the chicken (raw or precooked)
- Simmer 25 minutes.
- Serve topped with chips, sour cream and cheese.
- Yield: 8
I saw TrishaYearwood on the FoodNetwork last year and she made this recipe. I usually make a tomato-based chicken Tortilla Soup since it’s healthier, but this one sounded good this week. Hope you enjoy it, too!
If you’re in a hurry, use a rotisserie chicken. This would also make a great crock pot dip for game day!