Summer Snack Plates
It’s Sunday and we are preparing for the week. This means menu planning, grocery lists, and snack ideas. If I don’t have these things organized,my week feels disjointed. Planning around our food allergies reduces stress dramatically.
It’s anxiety provoking enough to get the last minute “hey let’s go out for dinner” (Which we LOVE to do), so planning regular meals helps incase we do decide to go out, we can always take our bento box!! But, 9 times out of ten, I don’t even consider what I will enjoy because I’m too busy thinking about what will be safe for Chloe to eat, and if I trust the kitchen enough to really understand cross contamination issues to make sure her food comes out safe. And if we have an issue, how far away are we from excellent healthcare? (This is my hesitatiom on going to all-inclusive resorts, other than the amazing allergy sensitive DISNEY, of course.)
Friends are coming over for a swim tomorrow. Here’s what I have planned for dinner time.
Mediterranean Snack Plate (large, to serve 6)
- Kontos whole wheat pita bread, sliced in 1/2, toasted in my toaster and then cut into triangles.
- Hy-Vee brand plain hummus
- Red bell pepper, julienned
- Green bell pepper, julienned
- Grape tomatoes
- Kalamata olives and green olives
- Small cubes of feta cheese, Hy-Vee brand
- Sliced cucumbers from our garden
- Sauteed zucchini sprinkled with parmesan (shown above)
Wisconsin Summer Fruit Salad
In a large white bowl combine fruit that you have on hand. I am using:
- Sliced bananas
- Mandarin oranges, drained
Note that if you’re using banana and making this in advance, make sure there is some acid (lemon, lime, orange) to prevent browning.
To make a simple dressing to coat the fruit, this is optional: mix these together in a small bowl and coat the fruit salad.
- 1 cup of plain, 2% greek yogurt (I like Fage, it’s low in sugar)
- Two shakes of vanilla extract
- Sprinkle of salt and pepper
For a little extra protein, I will pick up a rotisserie chicken, fork it apart, combine with BBQ sauce for some mini sliders. I’m not heating up the house, and we can spend all of our time with friends, rather than cooking in the kitchen.
Enjoy your Sunday!!