Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Ahhhh. Summer. The time where you try to balance the outdoor fun activities with maintaining the house, a little. Or in my case, barely. I’ve got to admit, this has been the best summer so far. The kids are at a great age to FINALLY do fun things without a million interruptions; blow out diapers, nursing every few hours, two naps a day, just baby stuff in general. We have taken FULL advantage of the nice weather so far. And we are grateful for the time and resources to be able to do so.
Anyway, yesterday was busy with errands and then water table in the afternoon. Dinner had to be quick.
Sweet + Sour Meatballs
2 heads of broccoli
1 package of organic chicken meatballs sweet and sour flavored
1 cup jasmine rice
1 red bell pepper
1 can or fresh chunks of pineapple
1 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp flour
1+1/2 cup water
1/4 cup white vinegar
3 tbsp soy sauce
1. Cut the broccoli into small pieces and place into 8×8 pyrex pan. Add 3 tbsp water and set aside.
2. Place a non stick sauce pan on the stove top and add one cup of rice, a swirl of evoo, sprinkle of salt and fill the pot with water, until it is just above the rice. Boil on high until water reduces just below the rice and looks bubbly. Turn the burner to LOW, cover and let sit for 15 min.
3. While the rice is steaming, add the sugar, flour, water, vinegar and soy sauce to a large pan with high sides. This will make a very yummy sauce. It should thicken nicely. If not, turn up the heat and keep whisking.
4. Add thawed meatballs to the mix. Sprinkle in the pineapple and chopped bell pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes stirring often.
5. Pop your broccoli in microwave for 3 minutes.
6. Fluff rice.
7. Serve the mixture over rice and the broccoli on the side.
8. Yield – 4
We are off to the botanical garden today!!😃